The Health Sciences and Environmental Studies Division offers a certificate program in phlebotomy that meets all
of the Department of Health Services regulations (AB 1557) that became effective in January 2002. This program is
approved by the Department of Health Services for the courses that include theory and lab practice plus a 108-hour
externship. No transfer courses from other institutions are accepted for this certificate. Completion of this
certificate allows students to sit for the A.S.P.T. exam as required by California State Bill AB 1557. All courses
must be passed at Ohlone College with at least a grade of C to earn the certificate.
Student Learning Outcomes
1. Apply knowledge of medical terminology when performing the duties of a certified Phlebotomy
2. Define the scope and practices of a certified Phlebotomy Technician.
3. Demonstrate safe techniques while drawing blood from a variety of patients.
4. Demonstrate knowledge and skill set needed to fulfill the state requirements for practice as a certified
5. Complete successfully 50 venipunctures and 10 skin sticks on live patients as required by California
AH-110 Medical Terminology
AH-117A Basic Phlebotomy Training
AH-117B Phlebotomy Skills Lab
AH-117C Advanced Phlebotomy Training
AH-117D Phlebotomy Externship
Ohlone College Phlebotomy
39399 Cherry Street
Date Approved: 04/04/2003
Contact Person: Administrative Assistant
Phone Number: 510-742-3100