Hair Cutting Schools
Barbering is one of the worlds oldest professions, dating back to at least the Bronze Era when razors were found among relics unearthed in Egypt which dated back to this period. While the common perception is that barbers merely cut and style hair, in fact they offer a wide range of services, including shaves, scalp massages, hair coloring, bleaching and highlighting as well as manicures and pedicures. Barbers are among the best compensated of personal appearance workers, earning an annual average of $24,781, although this may vary depending on where the barber is practicing and their level of skill and experience. Professional barbers are required to get training from state-approved hair cutting schools before they can be licensed to practice.
Hair cutting schools, better known as barber schools, are mainly focused on giving their students an education in providing the complete range of hair and skin services for men, which includes cutting, styling, dying and bleaching, shaving and facials. They also learn the basics of the different types of hair based on ethnicity, thickness, curliness and manageability, and how to properly manage them, as well as various hair and scalp conditions that could prevent or hinder proper styling. Before enrolling, however, students should make sure that the programs offered by the school are state-approved so as not to encounter any problems later when applying for licensure exams.
Since nearly half of licensed barbers are self-employed, many hair cutting schools not only provide training on all the hair cutting and styling skills barbers need to pass licensing exams, but also courses that will serve them in good stead if they choose to set up their own barbershops, such as business finance and management and customer relations skills. As well, many barber schools provide their students the opportunity to participate in apprenticeship programs that would give them hands-on work experience. Students may also sign up for these programs through trade unions that would place them in an actual salon or barbershop.
Although barber shops do not have stringent entry requirements, applicants are commonly required to have at least a high school diploma or its equivalent, and be at least sixteen years old, although license requirements vary from state to state. A full-time course at a barber school commonly takes around nine months to compete, although it can also be taken on a part-time basis. Graduates may be awarded an associate degree upon successful completion of training. After graduation, students need to prepare for their state licensure exams. Without a license, barbers cannot be hired by salons or barbershops and cannot set up their own practices.
Licensure exams commonly have a written and a practical component. In the practical part of the exam, students are required to demonstrate their hair cutting and styling skills to inspectors. Your barber school may prepare you for licensure exams by taking practice tests. There are also many online resources available on taking and passing barber licensure exams. Once you have passed your exam and earned your license, you may also have to renew it periodically.
Hair Cutting Schools
- American Barber Institute
- Hair Design Schools(part of Empire School)
- Hero Barber Academy
- Tri-city Barber College
are some of the popular hair cutting schools. Enter your zip code to find hair schools near you.
Barbering and Hair Design Industry and Job Prospects.
Personal appearance industry employs over a million people around the country of which 90% work as barbers, hairdressers, hairstylists and cosmetologists. Remaining 10% of the jobs are held by manicurists, pedicurists, skin care specialists and shampooers.
Most of the jobs are in barber shops or salons. Barbers are also employed by drug and cosmetic stores, department stores, care homes and nursing homes.
Nearly half of the barbers,cosmetologists and other beauty industry workers are self employed.
Enter your zip code below to find Hair Cutting Schools in your area.
|Search by Program / Degree|